Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Thought of the Day

Welcome all. This is the first post on this bad boy, let's hope it something useful. Hoping that this isn't a waste of time for you or for me. We'll see how enriching my thoughts spewed out help to solidify life in my own mind and how helpful they are to speak to yours. If this is a success then credit the polite nudging of Darren and others at Wheaton Graduate School for getting me to start one of these. If this is rubbish, well, sorry to waste your time. Enough is enough, to the heart of the matters concerning sinful humankind, and our reflection on the Holy.

Since this is the first day, I figure what better way to start off than to remind myself of God's story through this reflection. The following is a prayer I wrote when I was delivering a talk on Luke 15, the first 2 pericopes. It reminds me of the picture God has painted through His Word, "God's relentless pursuit of humankind."

Disturb us with your powerful love, take our fragile humanity, and shake us to the core.
Awaken us, we are the sheep, put on your shoulders and brought home.
Awaken us, we are the lost coin, who you hold up and show to all your friends.
Awaken us, we were humanity lost, but you have come down in flesh and blood.
Awaken us, to your Holy Name, to our call, and to our responsibility.
Surround us with your grace, until we cannot help but weep.
Disturb us with your willingness to forgive, let that haunt us when we do not wish to forgive.
Disturb us Lord, come in, and make your home.
Help us to understand what it means to call you Master and Lord.
Break into the dark corners of our lives, for the glory of your name.
"Disturb us, Lord" - we know You will - You always do.
We may not always like it, but we will always need it.

Thank you for being the relentless pursuer of humanity throughout the ages of time. Thank you for your questions, which interrogate our paper-thin souls.
Often we confess that when your holiness comes close, we, like Adam, hide, because we are naked and afraid.
But please Lord, in spite of who we are, continue to come after us, because of who you are.
You are the Mighty Lover, the Powerful Redeemer of our dry and sterile souls.
Thank you for disturbing us with the powerful message of your love,
Transform our lives into living sacrifices, making us into your hands and feet to be carries of your good news, and sharing it with the lost coins and lambs, sinners you so deeply love………In the name of the Great Shepherd, amen.

3 comments:

Christopher Yuan said...

Hey Nick:
Welcome to the "Cult of the Bloggers!" I knew it would only be time before you crossed over! This is a great prayer. It reminds me of a prayer that Bullock said before class. It's such a great reminder to be "disturbed" by our Great and Gracious God. Peace out (and back to studying!).

kevin schwartz said...

νικαω, you told me in class that this was going to happen...but i had to see it myself. good to see you on here. looking forward to your thoughts.

Myrto Theocharous said...

Hey Nick! Congrats on your new blog! I guess this is contagious, I started one of mine yesterday too. I just love this prayer that Dr. Bullock read in OT Theo class, can I borrow it for my blog??
Bless you
Μυρτώ