Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Centuries Ago Speak Today Part 5

More from the Imitation of Christ.

Of Complete Resignation of Self in Order to Gain Inner Freedom

My child, give up self and you will find Me.

I make no exception, but wish to find you stripped of everything. How else can you be all Mine, unless you be stripped of all self-will? The sooner you do this the better it will be for you; and the more completely and genuinely done, the more you will please Me, and the more you will profit. Some give up self, but with certain reservations; for they do not trust God completely, so they try to safeguard their future.

Would that I did not concern myself with the future, but rather unquestioningly gave myself over to pleasing You!

Self-denial is the true advance of man.

Unless I am assisted by You I grow faint and lukewarm.

You ought to be so dead to human affections as to wish as much as possible to be without the fellowship of men.

If you knew how to annihilate yourself completely and to empty yourself of all love of creatures, then I would flood you with My graces.

Learn to master yourself in all things for the sake of Your Creator, and then you will have knowledge of divine things.

Never study in order top appear more wise and learned; it is more profitable for you to root out your vices than to answer difficult questions.

But woe to those who inquire of men about many curious things, and care very little about the way they serve Me.

He profited more by renouncing everything than by studying subtleties.

No comments: