Thursday, December 6, 2007

The missing fruit of my spirit

Fight Club says the following about what to do in order to gain focus.
"The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide." -Fight Club

As I think about the fruits of the Holy Spirit, I would do well to teach myself the fruit which deals most directly with battling oneself. That fruit is discipline. To gain self-discipline I grow increasingly more convinced that it means defeating one's self. Subdue the flesh, so the Holy Spirit can reign. Discipline has a sister, and her name is focus. Self-discipline is a fruit of the Holy Spirit, unfortunately it gets drowned out by the familiar things such as love.

I teach myself again today to let that which does not matter truly slide. To focus once again on that which does matter, and throw myself wholeheartedly into the purpose of my existence. Self-discipline and focus, two things not often preached, but two messages I need to daily preach to myself. May I count all things rubbish, so that I might gain Christ.

No comments: