Sunday, March 23, 2008

Prayer from 3/15-3/22

Prayers sometimes develop from deep wounds. All prayers must resound with the dull thud of deadly sincerity. Just to write this prayer I had to dig up from within and without to feel again the devasting human reality that we were created to live to community, but all too often we remain alone and searching for friendship. So Lord, give us people to lift our spirits and to encourage us in our walks.

I am reminded of the painful echo of God's charge to me through the lips of Jesus on the verge of his crucifixion. Stay up, pray with me. Emotionally drained, mentally exhausted, whatever the case may be. The truth still remains that God has called me to stay up with the God who never sleeps, and weep and intercede on behalf of His children. Lord help me.




Friendship/Togetherness/United in Christ-likeness/Listening in Friendship

Lord, give us friends who will stick by us, friends who will pray for us, and friends who will listen to us.

But even more than this, give us friends who will strive to understand, even though they fully well know they will never understand. Nonetheless, they are faithfully by our side, and strive to understand.

Yes, and give us friends who will not just say, "I will be praying for you," but give us friends who will weep with us as they pray painful prayers together with us.

And give us friends who will not only listen, but listen without judging.

And give us friends who listen and love us with a prayerful ear.

Surround us with people who faithfully carry the cross of Jesus up into the mountains and down into the valleys.

Surround us with people who are slow to speak, but quick to listen, and even quicker to love and serve.

Grow and give us by Your grace deep Christian friendship. And dare I mention, authentic fellowship. And today I pray that I may have the courage so that I may have friendships without the masks, but with complete gentleness and heartfelt love. Let these be friends where we don't have to pause and second guess ourselves if it is a fictitious fabrication when we call others our 'brothers' and 'sisters.' Instead, give us friends where we are knitted so closely together that we can say without blinking, "Yes, this is my brother. Yes, this is my sister. We are close; we are family. We can, and will love one another, because our great God continues to show us extravagant love and mercy through His only Son."

We thank You for the blessing it is for You to hear us, and for us to hear from You. Thank You for Your friendship Father.

No comments: