Sunday, September 16, 2007

Lost our Minds

One of the major reasons for choosing to write a book is because I believe I have lost my mind. Writing and thinking is a way for me to find my mind, and find out what it means to be human again. Now, why should a guy who has lost a mind write a book and have the audacity to tell people that it's worth reading? My only retort is that there need be no rationale. You should read it just as the second grader would say, 'just cause.' For you only kid yourself if you think you need a reason to do something. We do hundreds of things each day, the vast majority of these things rarely tapping into reason. Rather it's zombie like habits, seldom calling upon the mind, but often calling upon emotions. We operate out of emotion, not reason. We do things based on how we feel. We eat, sleep, and decide what to do on a day to day basis based on our feelings and what tickles our fancies. We have lost our minds long ago.

As a Christian, my God reigns in heaven, but emotions rule on earth. Emotions have superseded the place of the mind, and our churches now prominently appeal to emotions, because to speak to the mind in our culture would be to speak to an old abandoned warehouse.

For me to write is to think, and to call my long lost mind back from oblivion. I have been struck by many books in my day. Or more properly, I have been struck by books I have read long ago. The books I have read more recently only anger me because of the lack of substance and the failure to get to the heart of the matter. That is why the book I'm writing won't mince words, but calls depravity depravity and hopefully we'll come to find who we truly are. We are people full of unruly passions and emotions with very weak minds.

I'll leave you think a sweet little quote from Kierkegaard's 'Purity of Heart.' It's not a quote from Kierkegaard's mouth, rather it's his translator commenting on the text.
“Allow this center in a man to remain dulled by the crowd; allow it to continue dissipated by busyness; permit it to go on evading its function by a round of distractions, or to lull itself by a carefully chosen rotation of pleasures; abandon it to its attempt to drug, to narcotize suffering and remorse which might reveal to it its true condition; let it wither away the sense of its own validity by false theories of man’s nature, of his place in the social pattern, of his way of salvation;…” -translator’s intro

No comments: