Saturday, January 26, 2008

Evolution of Speaking

I speak four times in the coming month. Three of them are for colleges, and one of them is a wedding. I'm also tackling an outreach training time and presenting material for a spiritual leadership development program.

When I'm preparing to speak, a whole gamut of things flow, collide, and mesh in my mind. One thing I've intentionally given attention to recently is how to present content. For me this is very much unexplored territory, or at least it was until a few months ago. I'm actually taking as much time thinking about how to present the content as I'm taking to decide what content to present. Since my M.A. is in Biblical Exegesis I'm not in great peril screwing up the content of most messages. I know what a text says at transferable level to a non Bible scholar audience. I'm not in grave danger to make a text say what it never meant to say. My academic background provides footing on these sorts of matters. I am in trouble however to make a mess of these speaking engagements and leave the audience in the dust for lack thought into how to present content in a way that sticks, hits home, and causes further contemplation after the talk is over.

Our culture has evolved. Our speaking needs to evolve as well. Do people no longer want an exegetically precise sermon delivered from the pulpit? I want to deliver that, well kinda at least, and I think people still deep down want that too. Axe the pulpit or podium part, and I think we still have something worthwhile. What I'm saying is that we need is to figure out a way to preach exegetically precise in a way that hits the pulsating heart.

Although, I myself would love getting God's Word handed to me every week by an 18th century Puritan Preacher that goes three hours long, I'm aware I'm not the norm. A Puritan Preacher in my opinion can move anyone. People want to be moved, they want something that will speak to their minds as well as tug at their emotions. To take an audience down a journey through a Bible passage involves savvy preparation of both content and importantly here, style. So how would a resurrected great preacher of the past adapt their style to fit this current time?

To gain answers, unfortunately not many examples can be found in the American Churches today. Sure there are some, and I could rehearse some names right now, but by in large, we're hard pressed to find both exegetical precision from the text, and an inspirational element that spurs change and application. Oh John Piper, how I wish I could clone thee. For right now, I'm just starting on this journey of the preacher and audience communication dance, and hopefully others will come beside me and help fill in the gaps. You got thoughts? Share 'em.

"Without order nothing can exist-- without chaos nothing can evolve."

No comments: